If you have a long-term disability plan, become disabled and are no longer able to work due to an accident, disease or disorder – there is a lot of information that you need to know.
Before long-term disability coverage can begin, you will have wait out the long-term disability qualification period specified within your insurance policy. Qualification periods can typically range from 3 to 6 months. Within this time-frame you cannot work and must be continuously disabled by your condition. At this time, disabled employees usually look to short term disability benefits, company sick days and Employment Insurance Sickness benefits provided by the government for financial assistance.
If you have reason to believe that you will still be unable to work at the end of the qualification period, use this time effectively. Contact a qualified long term disability lawyer as soon as possible and use your qualification period to prepare for the long-term disability application that will follow. When first applying for long term disability benefits it’s extremely important to present a strong application with the necessary supportive medical evidence and information.
Our personal injury lawyers will:
- Communicate directly with your employer and insurance provider on your behalf. It is not uncommon for disabled persons to be overwhelmed by their condition and pressured into signing documents that they do not fully understand.
- Not all disability claimants have access to a family doctor, let alone leading medical specialists related to their condition. This can pose significant road blocks for persons pursing quality treatment and diagnosis of their condition. When this happens, insurance companies often dispute and discord the medical information and the time-frame in which it was provided. Over the years, our law firm has gained access to many of the top medical specialists in the country. Not only does this help with building a successful claim – but it also insures that the claimant receives the best medical treatment and support available.
- Our insurance lawyers will help collect all medical records related to your condition, keep records of tests performed, treatments and specialist appointments.
- Applications usually require forms from the employee, employer and medical treatment provider. Our long term disability lawyers will help you acquire specialist and consultant reports that may include: medical observations, test results and other supportive documentation. Often times our lawyers will provide your medical specialists with the relevant definition of “disability” from your policy – so that they know and understand the information required.
- Doctors are busy people. Not all medical treatment providers enjoy the paperwork involved with completing legal LTD related medical reports. Our lawyers will deal directly with your treatment providers. This can be a successful approach for all involved, by saving time with back and forth medical appointments and or appeals.
Get In Touch
Our firm has built its reputation on extraordinary results. Our commitment, dedication, compassion and relentless drive has resulted in exceptional service and exceptional results for our clients.